Family

Family

Thursday, 24 July 2014

Tales of an adventurer: Phyllo's Vagrancy VI: To make an omelette

"Concerning the dizziness you mentioned, it seems that nothing is wrong with your body.
The problem probably comes from the heat of the desert, if it has been a while since the last time you visited this city, it's not that surprising"

Me- Isn't it a bit weird for a heatstroke to last almost a week?




"Well it depends on the person, exhaustion can also make things worse, and your line of work isn't exactly the safest.
The only advice I can give you is to take some rest, take a break, visit the town, go eat in a restaurant, there is plenty of things to do here in Ul'dah."

Me-...Guess i don't have a choice, thank you doctor.

"You're welcome, come again if the dizziness remains persistent."

Me-I will, thank you again

As i thought, the dizziness wasn't due to a disease, but I expected it to be the consequence of the fight against the gobbue and yet...
Guess i'll just take a few days off, Lynette's job's payment is enough for me to do so, maybe take a full week.

Now that I think about it, that girl's father should be here too... it'll be hard to find him when I don't even know his name, but I have the feeling that I'll manage to somehow.

"Checheroya, what's this about a cave-in at the Nanawa Mines?
Gods, tell me it wasn't beyond the restricted area!"

Checheroya-My boys are looking into it as we speak, Faustigeant. Once they're back, I'll have them tell you everything they know.

Behind me stood an elezen and a lalafell who seemed to be talking about an accident in the mines, probably the accident Corguevais was involved in.
The elezen looked aside, with a troubled face.

Checheroya-Calm down, everything's fine. I myself patrol that area everyday.
You dont need to worry about such a thing happening ever again.

The elezen sighed

Faustigeant-Please do. And what of the thaumaturge?
Can we be sure he won't appear again?

The lalafell nodded before leaving, I watched him go, wondering what will become of Corguevais, almost everyone in the city hate him now.

Faustigeant-Yes, what is it?

Me-hmm? Ah yes, Momodi asked me to come help you out.

So much for resting, oh well, not that it'll be a tiresome job

Faustigeant-Momodi did? I assume that you have some grasp of the alchemical art don't you?

Me-Eeeeer.... Not really..

Faustigeant-I see, just another adventurer, nothing more.
I doubt you'll prove to be of much use... *sigh*
Very well, just... go and make a survey of the sickrooms. And try not to get in the way.

Me-Understood (you could be nicer, prick)

-------

The last room I visited happened to be the girl's father's, She and Corguevais were there too.

Ascillia-F-Father! Please come back, Father.

She was crying, on his bed, holding his hand.
Corguevais closed his eyes and raised his head.

Corguevais-Gods be good, he's gone...

He then noticed i was here, I nodded, greeting him silently to avoid troubling the girl, he did too.

Corguevais-My dear, I know this must be hard for you, but I must ask.
Tell me child, Warburton-your father... Why did he come to this city?
Did he know someone here?

Between her sobs, the girl answered to his question with her trembling voice.

Ascillia-H-He said... that Ul'dah was d-dangerous.

Dangerous?

Corguevais-Dangerous? But why? Did he tell you why?

she shook her head.

Corguevais-Of course he didn't, I see.
And so your father came here to try and tell others?

The door behind me opened, Fausigeant and some of his aides entered the room, I took a step back to let them in and they made their way to Corguevais.

Faustigeant-What would you like done with the remains? He was not a citizen of Ul'dah.
You will have to appeal the Arrzaneth Ossuary to make arrangements.
I should think medical expenses and interment cost will come to upward of 1,500,000 gil

Corguevais' tone betrayed the anger he was keeping down.

Corguevais-How can you be so callous?! This child alone with her father, and in poverty!

Faustigeant rolled his eyes, and said in a monotonous voice.

Faustigeant-Then take his corpse out of here yourself. Leave it beyond the walls and the crows and beetles will be happy to save you the cost of a burial.
Whatever you do, do it quickly, I have need of this room.

Me-Just how inconsiderate can you be? This girl just lost her only relative, and you tell her to beat it?!

He glared at me.

Faustigeant-This matter does not concern the likes of you.

I grabbed my spear with my right hand, ready to take it out.

Me-That is not for you to decide, I meddle whenever I want you rotten piece of-

Corguevais-Enough! Phyllo, calm down please.

Me-Tch! Fine...

Faustigeant left, with a scornful look as I kept glaring at him.
The aide went to see Corguevais

Corguevais-Damielliot...

Damielliot-The cost of not burying the deceased is far greater than the cost of burying them.
Those not properly returned to Hydealyn are damned to spend an eternity wandering the wastes!

Corguevais-I'm aware of what the scriptures teach, it's just... there is no money.

The girls sob were like blades in my ears.

Me-Either way, there is a time and place to discuss this kind of matter.

Damielliot-R-Right.

The aide then went to comfort the poor girl.

Corguevais-I never thought it would come to this. I never thought Warburton would die.
I must do something. I must first contact the superiors.

He then walked to the exit

Me-Corguevais...

---------

Momodi-Looks like another criminal was exiled from the city. There's some areas in the mines that are off limits for safety reasons.
They are saying someone got back there and caused a cave-in.

Me-Again? Looks like Lynette is not taking her job seriously..

Momodi-It's not her fault if people breaks the law, anyway... remember that flower you sold off at the goldsmith's? Well apparently certain beasts can't stand those blossom.

Me-Really?

Momodi-Mhm, a ward against monsters is never a bad thing to have on hand.
Come to think of it, there was someone in town asking about them flowers a while back.
Ending up exiled though, for some reason or another.

Me-Is this a sport?

Momodi-What is?

Me-Nevermind...

The week I took off sure worked it's purposed, the dizziness is still here but way weaker than it used to be, now I just hear a weird noise and feel bad for a flash.

"A flower to ward off the pultiplying villainies of nature you say?"

Thancred snook up once more on us, he waved a me with his usual smile.

Momodi-No less. Seems Niellefresne has made it his business to collect them. Quite valuable, I'd imagine.
Then he went handing them out to townspeople at the parade. He was only able to cover a couple of the streets, but generous nontheless.

Me-A yes I remember, F'lhaminn was handing them before she jumped on stage, remember?

Thancred-Now that you mention it, I do believe I was the honored recipient of one of said flowers.

Momodi started to smile, the same cunning smile F'lhaminn had during our trip to blackbrush

Momodi-But thancred, I couldn't possibly accpet such a gift. The song you have promised me alone is more than my gratitude can bear.

Thancred-I'll not hear it. Such a tender and delicate muse as yourself? I fancy the gods themselves made these flowers to protect you and you alone.

Me-Ever heard of the word shame?

Thancred-Hmm?

Me-Nothing, go on.

He had that looked on his face like he didn't understood what I meant.

Thancred-... Anyway, with all this troubling talk of war with the Garleans about, I fear more with every passing day that the very ground upon which we stand may soon be a battlefield.

Momodi-That reminds me! The heir of a rather influential Ul'dahn came calling for you.
They seem to think they have evidence that spies of the empire have infiltrated the city.

Me-So the rumors were true...

Thancred-Rumors?

Me-Yeah, I heard something similar a few times these days.

Thancred-This is troubling.... An heir huh? Whoever could you mean, love?

Momodi-Even Niellefresne is an heir, one among many of the aristocracy's next generation.
He is the son of the guildmaster at Eshtaime's Lapidaries, the store's proprietor, lord Lolorito has also taken quite a liking to him.

Thancred-I see. Is that the reason why Niellefresne is so often out and about for his meetings?

Me-You mean those he talked about with Greinfarr?

He nodded.

Momodi-You don't miss much do you? Yes, the heirs of Ul'dah have been congregating lately to discuss how best to go about fighting the empire.
You are familiar with the Platinum Mirage, yes? The gambling hall in the north of Ul'dah?
That is where they meet.

Thancred-The Platinum Mirage! Now that sounds like a true Ul'dahn establishment.
Such a grandiose and luxurious ring to it.

Me-It does live up to its name.

Thancred-Forgive my abruptness, but I feel the making of a song coming on.
If you would be so kind as to excuse me.

I took a sip of my drink and waved at him as we walked to the exit

Me-Have fun.

Finally the dizziness wore off, maybe drinking eases it... nah can't be.

Momodi-Now, you, there. There's something I wanted to tell you about.

Me-Hm?

Momodi-Word is there's an opening for mercenary over at the Platinum Mirage. They're likely to welcome any able-bodied adventurers.
Why not head over and have a look-see? It might be a good idea after a week of dilly-dallying.

Me-Dilly-dallying huh, why not, what's it like?

Momodi-You'll be charged with sorting out any kinds of problems dealing with the mirage's funds. Sounds like an opportunity to get to know all kind of people, rich and poor alike.
Chances to make a coin start with getting out there and meeting people. Sounds like it might be just the thing for you, no?

Me-What am I? An hermit?

Momodi-Do I really need to answer this?

Me-.... No...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.