Family

Family

Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Tales of an adventurer: Phyllo's Vagrancy V : Father...


Me-So, Lhaminn huh?

F'lhaminn-What?

Me-That's how he called you back then, Niellefresne.

A sad smile appeared on her face



Me-When people are close, for the miqo'tes, they skip the letter, it's like an affective nickname.

Me-Close huh... Thus "Niel" he he. I see, I wonder how close.

then the mischievous smile made it's way through again as I was grinning.

F'lhaminn-So, Pariah huh?

Me-Gh... I see, so that's how you're playing it... alright nevermind.

She laughed upon my distress.

F'lhaminn-Aww come on, you got me interested here, why the pariah?

I sighed

Me-It's not much, really, I just grew up in the slums, no parents, no past, I just woke up one day in a slum orphanage, i was about 7 or 8 years old I think.
anyway one day I met some weird gridanian who lived in the outskirt of the city, he taught me many things, how to read, how to survive in different environments, spearplay etc...
After a life of poverty, that guy was a savior.

With a wry smile on her face she said

F'lhaminn-I see, I'm the daughter of one of Ul'dah Wealthiest family so, I can't really understand how it feels but surely it must not have been the greatest childhood.

Me-Ah ah ah ah ah, mine is not as bad as some so I can't really tell.
Anyway, because he made me some kind of kid who was really into justice and being right and all this kind of stuff, I joined the army, naturally when i reached the age, obviously because of my origins I wasn't the most popular guy among my unit, thus pariah.

F'lhaminn-Wait that's it? just for that?

Me-I told you it wasn't much, well some stuff happened later but it's not related to the pariah one.

F'lhaminn-Oh? You're digging you're own grave, the more you talk the more i'm interested he he.

Me-Darn... Me and that big mouth of mine... Ah fine, I'll talk if you tell me some stuff about you, you know, give and take, faire trade.

Once again she laughed

F'lhaminn-Alright, hmm where to start?

And so, we spent the trip talking about small stuff, about our childhood, our plans for the future, what we like dislike etc...
It only took a few hours to make us feel like childhood friends who had reunited after a decade, It's rare to find people you can befriend that easily.

--------

F'lhaminn-Well, here we are, let's gather everybody to say what we've come to say.
...Hm? What's going on?

In front of us, people we're already gathered, around a little girl that was lying on the ground, we walked to them to see what had happened.

"She was attacked by a gigantic beast!"

"None of her wounds appear to be fatal, thanks the twelve.
Can Corguevais's magic do something for her"

I kneeled near the girl and held her

Me-Hm? that girl...

She was the one of the parade, which F'lhaminn gave her flower basket to.
Corguevais kneeled next to me.

Corguevais-Let me see the child.

Me-okay

He stretched his hands toward her forehead and used a curative spell.

"Uhhh..."

She slowly opened her eyes and sat on the ground.

Corguevais-Girl, can you hear me? Are you alright? What is your name?

"A-Ascillia..."

Corguevais-Ascillia?

Ascillia-F-Father...

Corguevais-What?

She sudenly yelled, to most of us's surprise

Ascillia-Father! Give me back my father!

She then started to weakly hit the elezen's chest multiple times

Corguevais-Calm yourself, child. What has happened?

Thancred then appeared, running

Thancred-It is quite a relief to see that she has arrived at last

Corguevais-Are you this girl's father? How could you leave her alone in a place like this?!

Thancred-I did no more than show the girl how to find this village, at her own request. I certainly could not have known she meant to undertake the journey herself.
She divulged only that she was seeking out an enemy of her father's.  Out of concern for her well-being i set out to follow her.

Corguevais-An enemy of her father's?

The girl stood up, making me loose my balance and fall.

Ascillia-You! It's you! You are the reason father won't wake up!

Thancred-I believe you were the one charged with keeping the beast in the parade in line, were you not? yet it broke free of it's spell, and... Well, I needn't remind you of what followed.

The girl started to cry

Ascillia-Father....

I stood up

Me-Her father jumped to protect her from the gobbue when he crushed against the wall

F'lhaminn suddenly had a terrified expression on her face, as terrible as this news is, reacting like that is strange, even for someone who cares a lot and is sensitive.

Thancred-Do not fear, I shall see the child returned safely to the city myself. My only concern is what will come of her then-she had only her father and knows none in Ul'dah.
Her father is being treated at Frondale's Phrontistery, should you see fit to concern yourself any further.
Good day, then.

He then left with the girl, a hand on her shoulder to comfort her.

Corguevais-Ascillia... could it be...

The crowd then scattered, and i felt once more this dizziness.

it is becoming more and more frequent, maybe i should go to the Phrontistery too...

F'lhaminn-My apologies. Come, we must see to the task which brings us.
We had best seek out whoever it is that leads here.

Me-Huh?... Hm yeah.

--------

F'lhaminn-The warden of the mines wants only to prevent another great accident like the one we experienced in the past.
We must evacuate the young ones. Tell them of the disaster-of the suffering and misery it brought upon all, rich and poor alike.

The old hyur she was talking to shown an irritated face.

"I do not require counsel on how to educate my people. And you know full well that talk of that incident is forbidden. It is not the place of youth to fear. Should the order at Arrzaneth ossuary see fit to make an official proclamation, however...
Give my regards to your minewarden."

the hyur then walked back to his tent.
I joined F'lhaminn, worried at the sight of her expression.

Me-Is everything okay?

F'lhaminn-Yes, we've done all we can, let's return.

Me-Okay.

And so, we walked back toward the city, this time, the trip was silent...

--------

When we arrived at the concern, F'lhammin spoke to me

F'lhaminn-I know the man we spoke to comes across as harsh, but it is not without reason. Those people have seen more than their share of tragedy.

She stood in front of me and smiled

F'lhaminn-Still, he is a good man. I trust he will pass word along to his people.
Thank you for coming all this way with me. The miners' guild appreciates your service, here is for you.

She gave me payment for my job, which I took, not without a small joke

Me-If it lets me keeping company to such a lovely lady, I wouldn't mind doing it again, even for free.

She laughed and said.

F'lhaminn-If you keep trying to charm all the ladies like this, you will soon be broke.

She then walked away, waving her hand with a smile on her face.
Lovely lady huh... this is not like me to say such things, I guess mister ladykiller must be rubbing off on me.
I laughed a bit, threw the the pouch in the air and then catched it in it's fall.

Me-All right, let's keep up with the good work!

Lynette-What's up with you? Acting all badass
Me-Er....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.